7. Critical issues affecting the response
Each situation is unique. While policies and guidelines for CARE’s response exist, they must be interpreted and adapted in the specific context of each emergency. Critical issues in the emergency or operational context must be identified and analysed to determine the implications for response programmes and operations, and used to inform the decisions made about CARE’s strategy. Consider the following questions:
- What is unique about the operating context?
- What particular government policies or regulations exist that may affect the response of international NGOs? Are there particular obstacles to the involvement of international NGOs in the response?
- What are the particular sensitivities and risks that CARE needs to be aware of?
- What are the particular cultural considerations in the country that will affect programming decisions?